- What is Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT)?
LBTT is a charge on land transactions in Scotland in terms of the Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (Scotland) Act 2013 ("the Act").
- What is a land transaction?
A land transaction is the acquisition of a chargeable interest, such as the purchase of a house. A land transaction must be notified to Revenue Scotland unless it falls within one of the exempt categories in Schedule 1 of the Act.
- What is the connection between LBTT and registration of title?
An LBTT return must be submitted and payment of the LBTT due made to Revenue Scotland before the Keeper of the Registers of Scotland can proceed with registration of title.
- When did LBTT come into effect in Scotland?
On 1 April 2015, LBTT replaced Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) in Scotland for land transactions with an effective date of on or after 1 April 2015.
- What are the rates and bands for LBTT?